Summertime can be a difficult time for those in drug and alcohol recovery. It is a few months filled with parties, BBQs, and holidays. Days at the beach, music festivals, and more- it can have many triggers. It is important to have a plan to help you stick to your recovery plan and avoid relapse.
- Be aware of your own personal triggers. Triggers can be a person, emotion, or situation that can lead to cravings or substance use. Emotions can be difficult to handle (anxiety, depression, stress…) can also cause you to replapse. Being around others that are partaking in drug or alcohol use is also difficult and may threaten your recovery.
- Plan out activities. Avoid these events when you can and host your own sober events. If you have to attend an event where alcohol will be served, have a family member or friend there that can provide support.
- Spend time doing things you love! Get outside, spend time with family and friends, travel. Have fun, sober fun!
Here are some more fun ideas for summertime activities:
- Spend time in nature meditating or hiking.
- Go on a boat ride, try paddle surfing or go kayaking.
- Try a new hobbie.
- Volunteer for a cause you enjoy.
- Visit a museum, zoo or aquarium.
- Enjoy a day at the lake, pool or beach.
We wish you a very happy, safe and sober summer. If you need help, don’t hesitate to reach out.