Anger is a normal, healthy human emotion. It is categorized as an emotional state that can vary from mild irritation to intense fury and rage. Anger is the response our body has to perceived threats. It also can be connected to physiological changes such as your heart rate and blood pressure going up. Read on to learn about expressing anger in a healthy way.
3 Techniques for Controlling Anger
- Expressing- Learn how to show your anger in an assertive, not aggressive way. Making clear what your needs are without hurting others is the respectful and healthy way to handle anger.
- Suppressing-Many times we hold in our anger and then focus on something else. Converting feelings into something constructive can help. Although this can be helpful, if you focus anger inward it can cause depression or stress. Suppressing anger can also lead to problems with others such as passive aggressive behavior and a hostile personality prone to criticize others.
- Calming- The third method for controlling anger is calming yourself down. Taking a step back and using relaxation tools can help lower your blood pressure and decrease hostile feelings.
What are Relaxation Tools?
If you need some tools to use for calming yourself, here are a few examples.
- Breathe deeply from the diaphragm.
- Repeat a calming word or phrase. RELAX, RELAX, RELAX.
- Visualize a relaxing image.
- Perform yoga-like exercises or meditate.
*If you are questioning whether you have anger management issues or need advice, get help from a professional. This article is not medical advice and each situation may be different.Share the love